Google Adwords

Sorry this post is totally unrelated to the rest of the blog, but hey it is the only blog I have.  Sorry if you are interesting in reading my latest musings on workflow then read no further. 

 The post involves ad words and its spiraling costs.  Not long ago google changed its algorithm for what the minimum cost of a word could be.  It use to be 0.09 AUS per click for some pretty unlikely adwords.  For instance the name of my company and the product (Web and Flo, and Kontinuum respectively) each cost 9 cents.  So if someone searched on our company name it would cost us 9 cents if someone clicked on our paid ad as opposed to our natural listing ad.  Today it costs $13.00. 

This happend a while ago and OK fair enough maybe there were not alot of people searching on our name.  Today I noticed something else.  I have an ad campaign with about 1000 key words it in.  Almost half were disabled.  I went in and increased the cost on many of the disabled keywords so that they would meet the new requirement and thus become enabled.  As soon as I clicked to submit my changes Google increased the minimum cost of some of my other ads.  I increase the minimum payment for some of my other ads and guess what?  Other ads became disabled. 

It was like I was playing a game against Google.  Everytime I agreed to spend a little more money it responded in the very next minute by saying oops the price just went up.  At the rate the Cost per Click is increasing it is only a matter of months before Google has become to cost ineffective for most of its current clients.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Google Adwords

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s